Meghan Markle Attended a Meeting on Higher Education in the Commonwealth
Meghan Markle attended a meeting with educators, academic leaders, and students today in London to discuss how colleges and universities can address and tackle real-world issues including human trafficking, gender equality, and climate change.
The event was held at King’s College for the ACU (Association of Commonwealth Universities), an inter-university network for schools across the British Commonwealth.
The meeting aligns with the Duchess of Sussex’s work, as she and Prince Harry are Commonwealth Youth Ambassadors and visited four of the 53 countries in the Commonwealth together during their royal tour in October: Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Tonga.
During that trip, Meghan also gave a moving speech about girls’ education during an appearance at the University of the South Pacific. She said in her comments.
“Everyone should be afforded the opportunity to receive the education they want, but more importantly the education they have the right to receive. And for women and girls in developing countries, this is vital.
“Providing them with access to education is the key to economic and social development, because when girls are given the right tools to succeed, they can create incredible futures—not only for themselves but for all of those around them.
This marks the Duchess of Sussex’s second surprise meeting of the week. On Monday night, she privately met Michelle Obama after attending the former first lady’s discussion with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in London. The duo “chatted for a long time,” a source told BAZAAR.com. “They’re very close.”
Despite the secret events, Meghan did make a brief public appearance last night while attending a charity carol service with Prince Harry. The program benefitted the Henry van Straubenzee Memorial Fund, which supports children’s education in Uganda. The Duchess of Sussex gave a reading of the poem “Our Deepest Fear” by Marianne Williamson and the Duke gave an appeal for the charity.
While Meghan was discussing higher education today, her in-laws, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, were spreading holiday cheer to the troops across the continent. The couple visited military personnel serving in Cyprus, after hosting a party for their families at Kensington Palace yesterday.
- Khloé Kardashian Is Having So Much Fun Babysitting Chicago West in Cleveland
- Jennifer Aniston Just Opened Up About Her ‘Very Successful’ Marriages to Brad Pitt & Justin Theroux
- Hailey Baldwin Says Miley Cyrus Used to Be Her “Biggest Troll” When They Were Kids
- Meryl Streep Is Going to Become a Grandmother for the First Time
- The Bachelor Contestant Tracy Shapoff Apologizes for Her ‘Hurtful’ Tweets
- Catelynn Lowell Says She and Husband Tyler Baltierra Are ‘Not Getting a Divorce:’ ‘We Love Each Other and Always Will’
- Cardi B Avoids Arrest by Heading to Court After Her Split From Offset
- Mamie Gummer Is Pregnant With Her First Child
- Former MLB Player Jose Castillo and Free Agent Luis Valbuena Killed in Venezuela Car Crash
- Grammys 2019 Nominations: 5 Biggest Snubs and Surprises